Stations in North Wales shortlisted for the ‘World Cup of Stations’
Four stations on the Conwy Valley and North West Wales Coast Line have been shortlisted in the annual ‘World Cup of Stations’ tournament to be crowned ‘The UK’s Best Loved Station’.
The tournament, which is taking place during Community Rail Week 2023, is hosted by Rail Delivery Group in partnership with Community Rail Network. It celebrates the UK’s best stations by shining a spotlight on the work of dedicated volunteers that support stations through Community Rail.
There was in excess of 100 stations nominated for this year’s competition and these were whittled down to 48 stations by British Railway Historian and TV Presenter Mr Tim Dunn. The stations in North Wales, and in fact the only stations in Wales, to have been shortlisted are Llanrwst North, Llandudno, Conwy and Tal-y-Cafn.
Nominations were accepted for the following categories:
- Creating social spaces – stations rejuvenated by local adoption groups who are creating spaces for the local community
- Supporting local business – adoption groups using station spaces to host and celebrate local businesses
- Education stations – educational spaces and workshops arranged by adoption groups held in their station
- Tourism stations – adoption groups using their station to promote local attractions
- Sustainable stations – environmental efforts by local community groups to improve their station’s green credentials
Regional group rounds will be held 22-24 May, semi-finals 25 May culminating in the winner being crowned on 26 May.
- Monday 22nd May – London, South East, South West, East
- Tuesday 23rd May – East Midlands, West Midlands, North East, Yorkshire & Humberside
- Wednesday 24th May – North West, Scotland, Wales, Tim Dunn’s bonus group
HOW TO VOTE
You can follow the action and vote for the station you want to win by visiting the Rail Delivery Group website between 22-26 May, following @raildeliverygrp on Twitter or by searching for the hashtag #WorldCupOfStations.