Looking across from the town of Conwy, one can view the hillock above Deganwy known as the Faerdre where the ruins of the original castle, destroyed by Prince Llewelyn the Great in 1263, remain.
The first castle was built on this site in 1070 by the Norman baron Robert of Rhuddlan. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, roofing slates were transported by rail from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Deganwy quay, north of the present station and transferred to sailing ship to be sent to many countries.
Today Deganwy is a fashionable residential village with many interesting antique and curio shops. It has become entwined with the resort of Llandudno with its famous golf course lying between the two places.