Network Rail invites residents to drop-in events to find out more about ongoing work to repair the Conwy Valley Line
Network Rail is continuing work to repair the extensive damage to the Conwy Valley line and is inviting residents to find out more at community drop in events to be hosted next week.
The line, which runs between Llandudno Junction and Blaenau Ffestiniog, was closed in March due to significant flooding, caused by weather events that followed Storm Gareth. Since the temporary closure, teams have been working hard to repair the extensive damage. This has included significant repair work to six miles of track, embankments, ten culverts, eight level crossings and Dolgarrog station.
The line will reopen in July, ahead of the Eisteddfod. To date our engineers have removed 8000 tonnes of wash out material which will be recycled and have installed approximately 7500 tonnes of ‘rock armour’ to improve the resilience of the railway line. Network Rail has also been working in close partnership with Natural Resources Wales to obtain necessary licences and investigate solutions for the future resilience of the Conwy Valley.
Network Rail Wales and Borders is hosting community drop-in events on Wednesday 26 June at Ffestiniog Town Council, 5 High Street, Blaenau Ffestiniog, LL41 3ES ,from 3pm until 6.30pm and on Thursday 27 June at Glasdir Conference and Meeting Hall, Llanrwst, LL26 0DF, from 3pm until 6.30pm.
The Network Rail team will be on hand to provide an update on the programme and there will be an opportunity for the public to ask questions.
Kevin Collins route delivery director for Network Rail, Wales and Borders, said: “We would like to thank passengers and the local community affected by the closure of the Conwy Valley Line for their continued patience while this extensive programme of repairs continues. We understand the importance of this railway, and our teams have been working very hard so we can reopen the line as soon as possible.
“We continue to work closely with our partners, Transport for Wales, to keep passengers moving with rail replacement buses during the closure. I would encourage anyone wishing to find out more about the ongoing programme of repairs to attend one of the upcoming drop-in sessions.”
James Price, Transport for Wales CEO said: “We would like to thank all our customers and the local community for their continued patience while we work with our partners, Network Rail, to repair the damage on the Conwy Valley Line. Please could all customers check our website for travel updates and we will continue to keep the people of Wales moving with rail replacement buses. The drop-in events are a great opportunity for anyone who wants to find out more or has any questions regarding the repairs.”
Last week the Wales Route Supervisory Board, which was established to bring track and train closer together and represent rail customers in Wales and Borders, visited the site to see first-hand the progress being made to repair the railway line.
Chair of the Wales Route Supervisory Board Margaret Llewellyn OBE said: “It was really impressive to see the amount of work that has already been achieved towards restoring this vital railway line. We were also delighted to see the resilience work that has been built into the programme of repairs and we look forward to the line reopening next month.”